PROJECT DEVELOPER BIO’S
Alex Sangha (left) and Upkar Singh Tatlay (right)
- Alex has a Masters in Public Administration and Public Policy from the Department of Government at the London School of Economics, and a Master of Social Work from Dalhousie University. In addition, he has a Bachelor of Social Work from the University of British Columbia with a First Class Standing. Alex has obtained his Registered Clinical Social Worker (RCSW) and Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC) professional designations.
- He has been employed as a Team Leader, Clinician, and Social Worker with Fraser Health Authority, a Youth Counsellor with the Boys and Girls Club of South Coast BC, and a Case Manager with the Ministry of Children and Family Development in Special Needs, Foster Care, and Adults with Developmental Disabilities. Alex currently works as a counsellor in his own private practice in North Delta.
- Alex is the founder of Sher Vancouver which is a social, cultural, and support non-profit organization for South Asians and friends. Everyone is welcome in Sher. He is also a founding member of the Dignity Seniors Society which aims to build affordable housing for vulnerable seniors in Vancouver.
- Alex is the author of the book “Catalyst” which was a Finalist in the Current Events and Social Change category of the Next Generation Indie Book Awards. He also produced a critically acclaimed documentary called My Name Was January which went on to win 14 awards and over 52 official selections at film festivals around the world.
- Alex is the recipient of the Meritorious Service Medal (MSM) from the Governor General of Canada.
UPKAR SINGH TATLAY
- As the current Managing Director of Oxus Nexus, Upkar overseas emerging technologies in the biotech and clean technology industries as well as exploring potential markets for new developments in innovation.
- He has a degree from the University of Victoria and post-baccalaureate studies at UBC where he also worked as an Ombudsman and authored articles on climate change, genetics, and nuclear non-proliferation.
- Upkar Singh Tatlay is the Executive Director of Opus Foundation which is an organization that engages youth through talks, athletics, academics, and outdoor adventures.
- Upkar was also the former Chair of Surrey Libraries. As the Board Chair for Surrey Libraries, Upkar has worked to enhance literacy and learning access and promote an inclusive environment to all of Surrey’s citizens while taking a specific focus on children and youth. This led to his role as the Vice President of the British Columbia Library Trustees Association where he was awarded the Super Trustee Award.
- Upkar has also greatly strengthened his experience and life as a firefighter and first responder, and reservist in the Canadian Navy.